Rails Conf 2009 Day 2 - DHH Keynote
Rails Conf Day 2 start with DHH's
keynote. The room was packed (close to 1200 attendees) and SRO. It was
interesting to know that 70% of the attendees are first timers and only
a handful have attended for all 4 years in a row. This is my href="http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/sun_rails_conf_2007_keep">second
in the US.
Here are the notes from DHH's keynotes:
- Stop fretting about whether you are upto date with the
latest in Rails. Don't need to re-write your application everytime
something new comes up.
- Gallery of "normal wounds"
- Rails isn't enterprise ready, James McGovern "some
consutant, architect, or bullshit title of a big company". Can't win
the world with better arguments, some things take time.
- Multiple frameworks like Grails, Sails, Biscuit, Monorail
seem to give the impression Java is easier
- Switch back to PHP after 2 years on Rails y Derik Severs
- The failed whale, "the twitter debacle" that Rails
- Merb - "the most credible alternative to Rails". Even
though emotions can run high, the underlying principles are still the
- Fundamental principle of Rails are still the same, it's
better and faster
- Philosophy of Rails3
- Buck up all the unicorns - it's not going to be a rewrite
- No holy cows - "There is nothing secret in Rails,
everything is up for public debate"
- Have tasty burgers: it's all pre-assembled and use it the
default way, otherwise pick/choose whatever you like. Allow people to
make individual choices and still be together in one community.
- Progress of Rails 3 - Ton of Rails 3 code in the
repository, no alpha release
- New Router: Faster route by subdomains, user agents, more
Route to other Rack machinery. Mount multiple applications like Sinatra
and Django using this router. Much simpler routing API. "Ruby is not
about fewer lines of code, it's about expressive lines of code."
- XSS protection: Flipping the convention such that all
outputting views will be escaped, so "<%=raw" will not escape it
and "<%" will escape it by default. HTML helpers "html_safe" may
be used too.
HTML 5 custom attributes such as "data-remote" and "data-method"
attribtues will simplify "link_to_remote", "remote_form", "link_to".
- More agnosticism: Action ORM is a slim wrapper around
other ORM tools, Generators (SoC project)
- Great refactoring (bulk of the work): Abstract Controller
+ Action Dispatch, Active
Relation (also GSoC project) underpins Active Record, Cherry picking from Active
Support, Speedy callbacks
- Real secret to high productivity
- Most developers treat requirements as stone tablets,
don't treat requirements as gospel, instead renegotiate requirements.
- Use Twix instead of a fine Belgian chocolate, it doesn't
really matter most of the time.
- Programmers are like puppies who want to fetch the same
ball again and again, bark back instead
- Calling people programmer is like a blackbox, we are not
those boxes. Instead we should be treated as partners, work with our
stakeholders to get the job done.