TOTD #97: GlassFish Plugin with Eclipse 3.5
A new version of GlassFish Tools Bundle for Eclipse (ver 1.1) was recently
released. The build contains
- Eclipse 3.4.2 IDE with WTP Java EE support
- GlassFish v2.1 pre-registered and configured
- GlassFish v3 Prelude pre-registered and configured
- JavaDB sample database pre-registered and configured
- GlassFish Plugin (1.0.29)
- MySQL JDBC driver registered to the IDE
- Maven m2 plugins
- JAX-WS Metro plugin
- GlassFish documentation
- And optionally, a JDK 1.6.
The functionality is also available in GlassFish Plugin that can be
installed on Eclipse 3.5. However because of the Eclipse
bug #280365, the plugin cannot be installed directly using
Server Adapters. The alternative is to install explicitly using the
Update Site. The instructions to do the same are given below:
- In "Help", "Install New Software", click on "Available
- Search for "ajax" to see the output as:
- Click on "Enabled" button to enable the site and see the
change as below:
click on "OK".
- Expand the drop-down list box and chose the recently added
"update site" as shown below:
and it shows all the software available from that site as:
- Take the defaults, click on "Next" and it shows the
GlassFish plugin version number as shown below:
- Click on "Next", accept the license by clicking
on "I accept ..." and click on "Finish" to start the
The IDE restarts after the installation is complete.
- Now a new server can be added using "Servers" tab and it
shows GlassFish as an option as shown below:
#28 shows how to create a simple web application using GlassFish v3. Future
blogs will show how to leverage the new functionality of JAX-WS Web
services plugin and JPA Dali Tooling with GlassFish.
Please leave suggestions on other TOTD that
you'd like to see.
A complete archive of all the tips is available here.