Cloud in a Box: OpenShift Online in VirtualBox (Tech Tip #46)
OpenShift is Red Hat's PaaS platform and comes in three flavors:
- Origin is the Community PaaS offering. You can explore the community-driven open source upstream of OpenShift. Join the community.
- Online is the Public PaaS offering. Host your applications in the public cloud with automated provisioning, management, and scaling of applications. Sign up for free.
- Enterprise is the Private PaaS offering. Leverage PaaS in your own data centers and private cloud. Request evaluation.
This Tech Tip will show how you can setup a Virtual VM running with OpenShift Online. Instructions at openshift.github.io/documentation/oo_deployment_guide_vm.html are pretty self explanatory. Here are the exact ones that I followed on Mavericks:
- Download VM:
curl -O https://mirror.openshift.com/pub/origin-server/release/4/images/openshift-origin.tgz
- Unpack VM files
tar xzvf ~/Downloads/openshift-origin.tgz
x OpenShift Origin v4/
x OpenShift Origin v4/OpenShift Origin v4.nvram
x OpenShift Origin v4/OpenShift Origin v4.vbox
x OpenShift Origin v4/OpenShift Origin v4.vmsd
x OpenShift Origin v4/OpenShift Origin v4.vmx
x OpenShift Origin v4/OpenShift Origin v4.vmxf
x OpenShift Origin v4/._origin-vm.vmdk
x OpenShift Origin v4/origin-vm.vmdk
- Follow the instructions to create a VirtualBox instance. Create a new hard drive using the unzipped
- Boot the VM to see the output as:
Type "5" to exit to the command prompt.
- VM comes pre-configured with Avahi DNS service and so now you can access OpenShift console at broker.openshift.local and seen as:
The username/password are "demo"/"changeme".
- Create an SSH tunnel into the VM as:
ssh -f firstname.lastname@example.org -L 8080:localhost:8080 -N
Password is "changeme". OpenShift admin console is now accessible at localhost:8080/admin-console and looks like:
More details about Admin Console are well documented.
Many thanks to Harrison for guiding me through creating this process!