Moving to Google Code, even though sometimes Google is terrible
Kenai is being closed, so I'm moving all my projects to Google Code for the Mercurial source repositories and Google Groups for the mailing lists. To provide a complete information that can be helpful for others, I fortunately have my own instance of Jira - one of the biggest losses when leaving Kenai - with the exception of BetterBeansBinding, that I don't want to bind to Tidalwave; and I'll probably use the SonaType free hosting for Maven repositories. I have still to figure out where to publish media (screenshots and screencasts) and the javadocs.
Google Code is popular and creating a project is easy - I'm periodically forced to stop for one day because of a protection against misuse - I actually understand that it's not a common thing that the same person creates a dozen projects at the same time. There's a worse annoyance with Google Groups - I'm getting the message "You may not create any more groups at this time. Please try again later." since two days and I've still to create a good bunch of them - but eventually I'll be over.
What I find Google is a real disaster is support - I mean, when you need to do something outside of the automated flow.
For instance, I've discovered that Google is very kind to SourceForge: it doesn't allow you to create a project which already exists with the same name at SourceForge (*), unless you get the explicit approval from the original project owner. Since blueMarine was first published to SourceForge, I got stuck into this problem - and unfortunately, I couldn't recall my credentials for the SourceForge account, so I wasn't able to authorize myself! I asked for assistance with Google support, and I have still to get an answer - fortunately, in the meantime I've been able to recall my SourceForge data and solved the problem by myself. But there are still two name clashes about two projects, one at SourceForge seems abandoned for years and the email of the owner turned out to be invalid, and I'm still blocked because of a missing feedback from Google.
This made me recall that, the past year, I tried to see how many bucks my AdSense account made with the blueMarine website - I don't think more than a few dozens of euros, but better than nothing. Again I couldn't recall my account data, so I asked for the assistance. I got a canned response almost immediately, but it was completely missing my point. So I replied re-describing my problem, and received another useless canned response. At the fourth round, I got a message saying more or less "Google is happy for helping you in solving your problem. Don't exhitate to call us again in case of need". Needless to say, my problem wasn't solved at all.
(*) It's curious to note that blueMarine also exists at Java.Net and Kenai; but Google Code isn't paying any attention to them. Guessing if this has to do with the alleged bad relationship between Sun and Google...