The seven small languages changes that will be in JDK7
Joe Darcy has revealed the changes accepted to be included in JDK7 on coin-dev mailing list
And the final Project Coin changes accepted are:
- Improved Type Inference for Generic Instance Creation (diamond)
- Simplified Varargs Method Invocation
- Strings in switch
- An omnibus proposal for better integral literals
- Automatic Resource Management
- Language support for JSR 292
- Language support for Collections
I think this set of proposal is coherent. Lot of those proposals was already in the starting blocks:
- Diamond is already implemented, see my previous blog entry.
- Simplified varargs is just a matter to add a new warning, so not a big deal.
- String in switch. A little more complex but not that hard.
- Better integral literals, the unsigned syntax need to be explored and implementation will be straighforward.
- ARM block, need to be implemented but the current spec is crystal clear.
- Language support for JSR292, There is already an implementation available in javac.
I hope the JSR292 Expert Group will close the last corner cases during the JVM Summit, in two week.
About Language support for collections, hum, I was a complete surprise for me, knowing that Joe said more than one time than only 5 proposal will live in jdk7.
This proposal is a mix of two proposals:
- Josh Bloch has proposed a syntax pretty clear for collection initialisation and
- Neal Gafter has proposed a translation scheme to implement indexer.
And in my opinion, there are still lot of work on an unified proposal before its inclusion.
The deadline is short, end of October, I think help of the community is needed so if you want to see
a better support for collection in Java,
join us on coin-dev list and help to define/implement this feature.