Java and the Nokia n810
The Nokia n810 is pretty fantastic, but I'll let you look that up elsewhere. Plenty of places do a good job showing it off. I'll focus on how easy it was to set up and make a graphical Java program.
Before getting started, I must thank both the developers at the Jalimo project for porting a JVM and the Eclipse SWT developers. Those two projects really do all of the work. Hopefully I can help the Jalimo folks update their wiki a bit.
Here is how you can start hacking out your own Java apps on the Nokia n810.
- Install Jalimo using Maemo's point-and-click installer.
- Add the Jalimo repository to Application Manager. Use the following info:
- Catalog Name: Jalimo
- Web Address: http://jalimo.evolvis.org/repository/maemo/
- Catalog Name: chinook
- Catalog Name: user
- Created a new Java Application project.
- Added 'swt.jar' from the Eclipse SWT release (can also copy from the n810 directly).
- Copied and pasted the Jalimo SWT example code.
That is it. Sorry not to include some screenshots, but I'm a bit to excited to hack out some serious code. Perhaps I'll port Tranche to the n810 or maybe I'll try to figure out how to play around with the GPS....