Flurry of activity
I guess it's because of all the free evenings one gets during the summer (the hit TV shows take long breaks, and not too many major DVD releases), so i've been pretty busy over at Pushing Pixels, writing about the new functionality in the Substance and its plugin for SwingX.
The "Support for SwingX components" series shows screenshots and videos of SwingX components under the latest drops of 4.0dev:
- The first part shows the support for JXTaskPaneContainer and JXTaskPane.
- The second part shows the support for JXStatusBar.
- The third part shows the support for JXTitledPanel.
- The fourth part shows the support for JXTipOfTheDay.
- The fifth part shows the support for JXLoginPanel.
- The sixth part shows the support for JXMonthView.
- The seventh part shows the support for JXHeader.
- The eighth part shows the support for JXErrorPane.
The "Advanced animations on core Swing components" series takes a deeper look into the enhancements made to the built-in animation layer:
- The first part shows rollover and selection background animations on menus, sliders, tables and table headers
- The second part shows rollover foreground animations on menus under a skin that uses dark background fill on menubars
- The third part shows rollover and selection background and foreground animations under a mixed dark-light theme
- The fourth part shows rollover and selection background and foreground animations under the new Magma skin
The Advanced animations on SwingX components brings these two series together, showing the animations on the JXMonthView component.
Also, i have a brand new article on java.net on auto-completion support on Swing comboboxes using GlazedLists, JIDE, SwingX and Laf-Widget. Many thanks to James Lemieux of GlazedLists, David Qiao of JIDE and Chris Adamson of java.net for reviewing this article.
Last but not the least, next Wednesday i'm going to present a session on Swing advanced effects at the OSCON 2007 conference. If you're there, drop in to learn a thing or two about the Swing rendering pipeline and its extension points that allow you to hook the custom painting functionality.