NetBeans on Node.js, VNC Plugins and More...
So I haven't posted a blog here since 2009 - and haven't work for Sun or Oracle since early 2010. It's been a wild few years working on a number of things as diverse as giant clouds to control software for cameras which go down oil wells. And I have a new blog at timboudreau.com, naturally using a blog engine I wrote myself (I gave myself a project to learn node.js). Currently I'm architecting a Hadoop-like job-distribution thingy using node.js and C for a company that does search software.
I'm still doing open source software, and still doing a lot of Java (though node.js is giving it some stiff competition - but really it and Java are good at very different things). Here are some of the things I've been working on and writing about:
- A framework called Propeller for working with Netty to write asynchronous web applications
- Source code for the VNC Client for NetBeans
- How to build a great Linux desktop using Gentoo Linux
- The NetBeans Node.js plugins
- Hosting using Joyent's SmartOS
C'mon over and check it out!