Tori Wieldt Talks with Mark Reinhold in the Tent
Tori Wieldt interviewed Mark Reinhold (Chief Architect of the Java 7 Platform) this afternoon, in a talk that was streamed on Oracle Technology Network Live. Mark reiterated that "Plan B" is the Java 7 plan going forward -- a reduced Java 7 feature set, but an earlier Java 7 release. The features that are close to complete will be included in Java 7, which will be released mid-2011. Remaining features will be in Java 8.
Mark said Java 7 will include:
- most of Project Coin, including try-with constructs and the diamond operator (which facilitates getting more done with less code)
- InvokeDynamic, which will facilitate integration with scripting languages like Ruby
- lots of smaller items
Java 8 will include the items not included Java 7, for example:
- Project Lambda (closures and other enhancements related to development for multi-core processors)
- Project Jigsaw (modularity)
- the remaining Project Coin features
- additional smaller items
Mark invites our assistance with bringing out a solid Java 7. If you'd like to help, go to download.java.net/jdk7 and try out the latest Java 7, see if your existing apps that run on JDK 6 still run, try out some of the new features, etc.
Subscriptions and Archives: You can subscribe to this blog using the java.net Editor's Blog Feed. You can also subscribe to the Java Today RSS feed and the java.net blogs feed. You can find historical archives of what has appeared the front page of java.net in the java.net home page archive.